Au Pair in USA

Capitol building in Washington DC, USA with an american flag flying in front of it

The glitz, the glamour, the political intrigue, the sprawling nature, the diversity, as well as the warm, open hearted and friendly people – the United States is a truly one of a kind. Heavenly offers Au Pair stays in the USA through our trusted partner, who has decades of experience making placements with wonderful US families.

As the worlds arguably most influential country, getting to see life from the inside is a fantastic opportunity. The country was built on principals of freedom and diversity and these traits can be seen across the country today. Start by visiting San Francisco, with it’s incredible China Town, which is the oldest in the US, or Olvera Street in Los Angeles for a taste of the city’s Mexican roots. How about Little Havana in Miami with it’s Cuban residents? Meanwhile, the nature is second to none, and you will have plenty of opportunities to see the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone National Park and Niagara Falls, among many other must-see attractions.

Girl visiting the grand canyon during her Au Pair year

Living as an Au Pair in the USA with a wonderful local host family is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and offers plenty of great benefits, such as free flights to and from New York. Curious? Find out more below or get in touch today. We can help you fulfil your American dream!

Our Au Pair programmes in America last for a minimum of 12 months, and offer great benefits:

  • You will work up to 45 hour per week, with 2 weeks paid holiday and 30 days at the end of your stay to travel through the US.
  • Pay starts from $195 per week, increasing according to the number of hours you do per week.
  • $500 towards an education course of your choice.
  • Free flight to New York from your home country as well as domestic travel to your host family. Upon successful completion of your stay, you will also get a free flight back home.
  • Free insurance cover during your stay
  • Free accommodation and food with your host family.
  • Option to extend your Au Pair stay for up to 12 months.
  • By working with an agency (we are IAPA and BAPAA members too), you will receive:
    • Local support person to assist you during your stay
    • Advice for settling in to life in the US
    • Emergency assistance – for your peace of mind!
    • Arrival orientation in New York for 4 days
    • Social outings
    • Help to find friends
Two girls standing by the river in New York, looking over to Manhattan Island

To apply for your dream American adventure, you should:

  • Be between 18-26 years.
  • Speak English well
  • Have a driver’s license and be a comfortable driver
  • Completed high school or the equivalent in your country
  • Have 200 hours experience working with children – this can be as a big brother or sister, during work experience in a nursery or as a babysitter. If you are unsure, contact us!
  • Above all, have a love for children and an open mind. You will learn about a new culture from a unique standpoint – right in the middle of it!
San Francisco, USA lit up at night with the golden gate bridge in the foreground and the city behind it

What you will need to become an Au Pair in the US:

  • A completed au pair registration form
  • A dear family letter – Your chance to introduce yourself for your future host family. For instance, you might like to write about your home life, family, interests, studies, and most of all, why you want to be an Au Pair in America.
  • A small photo album with smiley photos of you and your family/friends.
  • Copy of your school grades/university certificate and any other courses you may have taken (i.e. first aid, sports, languages).
  • Passport or valid ID that you can travel with
  • 2 childcare references and one character reference (3 people in total). We check these so please make sure that they are reachable and happy to be contacted.
  • Clean enhanced DBS/Police check – we can help UK applicants to apply for this.
  • Medical certificate – this will need to be a certain doctor for your visa and the embassy will provide you with contact details.
  • Driver’s license – this is a must!

So what are you waiting for?! Contact us today to get the ball rolling on your gap year Au Pair stay in the USA!

Au Pair Abroad – Gap Year Apply for Outbound Au Pair Adventure Overseas