Would you like to experience life in the Alps? In a country where three major European languages are spoken widely, as well as a fourth special one? Home of Lindt and Toblerone, as well as fondue? Switzerland sounds like the place for you!
Notoriously peaceful, Switzerland has carved a unique identity from the countries that surround it. Many of the historic buildings and villages can still be seen today, as they did not suffer the damage that rest of Europe did during the World Wars. In the mountains, you can often find these villages along with other traditions, such as Alphorn and Yodelling. Switzerland also gave the world the “Red Cross”, which aids people affected by conflict all over the world.
While Switzerland may be traditional in some ways, bigger cities like Zurich, where they hold the famous annual Street Parade, are very urban and there is plenty of life and culture to experience. Many of the big cities are positioned in big lake areas, so you are guaranteed to be close to nature at the same time as living in a beautiful city – just take a look at Geneva! And if you do want to explore a bit further, the train network in Switzerland is excellent and you can easily head up to the mountains for hiking and, of course, skiing in your free time.
By going to Switzerland as an Au Pair, you will be able to experience life from the inside. Switzerland can be expensive and as an Au Pair, you will also be able to save on the bigger costs, while expanding your language skills and being part of another family in a country like no other.
Our programmes in Switzerland are for between 6-12 months, allowing you to be fully immersed in the Swiss culture.
- You will work 30 hours per week with 2 evenings babysitting
- Receive approximately 700 Swiss Francs per month as well as food and accommodation as a part of the family.
- Your host family will pay for your language classes (either French, or German), help with the cost of insurance (50%) and with public transport costs. Some may help with the cost of flights to and from Switzerland as well.
- 4-5 weeks holiday per year (4 for those over 20 and 5 for those under).
- By working with an agency, you will receive local support to assist you during your stay, including advice for settling in to Switzerland, emergency assistance and help to find friends and language classes.
To apply for your Swiss adventure, you should:
- Ideally be aged between 18-30 years.
- Have an EU passport. Our partner can unfortunately not help with visas.
- Have good English and basic French or German, or good German or French (if you do not speak English).
- Have experience working with children – this can be as a big brother or sister, during work experience in a nursery or as a babysitter. If you are unsure, contact us!
- Have a love for children and an open mind to learn about a new culture from a unique standpoint – from right in the middle of it!
What you will need:
- A completed registration form
- A recent CV
- A dear family letter – this is an introduction about yourself for your future host family. You might like to write about your home life, family, interests, studies, and most of all, why you want to be an Au Pair in Switzerland.
- A small photo album with smiley photos of you and your family/friends.
- Copy of your school grades/university certificate and any other courses you may have taken (i.e. first aid, sports, languages).
- Passport or valid ID that you can travel with
- 2 childcare references and one character reference (3 people in total). We will need to be able to check these so please make sure that they are reachable and happy to be contacted.
- Clean enhanced DBS/Police check – we can help UK applicants to apply for this.
- Medical certificate – a short statement for your doctor saying that you are fit enough to work with children.
- Driver’s license – if you would be happy to drive, that is!