Thinking of being an Au Pair in Spain?
Home of tapas, paella, the flamenco, FC Barcelona and Gaudi, being an au pair in Spain is an excellent choice! With its diverse culture, geography and food, no two areas are the same. In the south, near Sevilla, the weather is warm, the Gazpacho cold and you can see the remains of some of the first human ancestors in Europe. Further north, in Barcelona, you can see Gaudi’s world famous architecture and visit FC Barcelona, where Madrid, the capital, has its many museums and art galleries. For au pairs in Spain there is so much to see and so much to do and simply living the Spanish way of life is an exciting adventure.
Like English, Spanish is a global language, and is spoken by over 500 million people worldwide, and is an official language in 20 countries, making it an extremely useful language to have in your repertoire. And what better place to learn Spanish than at the source!?Show me Au Pair vacancies in Spain!
Our programmes in Spain vary in length depending on the experience you are looking for:
- 6-12 months – for the full immersion experience! By staying for a longer period, you will be able to really hone your language skills and come to feel like your new town is your home away from home. If you are just starting to learn Spanish, this might be the option for you, as you will be able to attend language classes during your stay.
- You will work 15-39 hours per week, depending on the position.
- At least 1.5 days off per week (all Sundays free) and one full weekend per month
- In return, the host family will pay you 70-90 euros per week, provide you with a travel card to make use of public transport, give you time off during the day to explore and take language classes, and treat you as one of the family. Room and board are of course included!
- By working with an agency, you will receive local support to assist you during your stay, including advice for settling in to Spain, emergency assistance and help to find friends and language classes.
- 1-3 months – June to September only – for those short on time or who would like to improve their Spanish skills – or even make a start! Perhaps you would like to put your Spanish to use after studying it at school or university. Or maybe you would like to start learning, and full immersion in a Spanish family will give you that opportunity. It’s also possible that you have a long summer break and want to make the most of it! Whatever your reason, Spain is a great choice for a summer stay.
- In addition to the above, most summer placements will require more hours, as they children will not be in school.
To apply for your Spanish adventure, you should:
- Ideally be aged between 18-30 years.
- Have finished high school.
- Have experience working with children – this can be as a big brother or sister, during work experience in a nursery or as a babysitter. If you are unsure, contact us!
- Have basic Spanish abilities – If you speak fluent English, some families may be happy to accept no Spanish.
- Have a love for children and an open mind to learn about a new culture from a unique standpoint – right in the middle of it!
What you will need:
- A completed registration form
- A dear family letter – this is an introduction about yourself for your future host family. You might like to write about your home life, family, interests, studies, and most of all, why you want to be an Au Pair in Spain.
- A small photo album with smiley photos of you and your family/friends.
- Copy of your school grades/university certificate and any other courses you may have taken (i.e. first aid, sports, languages).
- Passport or valid ID that you can travel with
- 2 childcare references and one character reference (3 people in total). We will need to be able to check these so please make sure that they are reachable and happy to be contacted.
- Clean enhanced DBS/Police check – we can help UK applicants to apply for this.
- Medical certificate – a short statement for your doctor saying that you are fit enough to work with children.
- Driver’s license – if you would be happy to drive, that is!
- Proof of health insurance – Check out our deals for Heavenly Au Pairs through STA travel!
- If you are not from the EU, you will need to be able to apply for a “Working Holiday Visa” or a “Student Visa” (where you need to study at least 20 hours per week). Please refer to the Spanish Embassy where you are from to find out if you are applicable.
Apply for Outbound Au Pair Adventure Overseas