New Zealand – about as far away as you can get! Luckily, once you get there, you will be welcomed with open arms by the friendly little nation. There is also plenty to keep you occupied during your stay, with the beautiful volcanic North Island and the majestic alps of the South – plus they are famous for all the adrenaline filled sport you can think of, such as bungee jumping, skydiving, surfing and white water rafting.
If sport and adrenaline isn’t your thing, the film industry in New Zealand has been in full bloom since Lord of the Rings and Peter Jackson put them on the map and it is possible to visit Hobbiton, Weta Workshop and plenty of the famous filming locations spread around the country.
But it isn’t all about the scenery! Auckland and Wellington are big urban centres, offering a wide variety of cultural and gastronomic experiences. You’ll also notice that NZ is a very multicultural country, and has strong ties to other pacific islands, along with its British and Maori heritage, making it a unique place to visit and spend your Au Pair year.
Our programmes in New Zealand are for between 6-12 months, allowing you to be fully immersed in the relaxed New Zealand way of life
- You will work between 30-45 hours per week over 5 days. Our partners offer different options for Au Pairs to choose from.
- Receive $170-285 (NZD) per week, depending on your hours and previous experience, with a bonus on completion of your stay.
- 4 weeks holiday, plus 11 bank/public holidays over 12 months – plenty of time for exploring!
- Free accommodation and food with your host family – New Zealand can be expensive, especially in the bigger cities, so this is a great benefit!
- By going through our agency, you will receive local support to assist you during your stay, including advice for settling into New Zealand, a 2 day arrival orientation in Auckland, emergency assistance, help to find friends, and regular social events with other Au Pairs organised by our partners in NZ.
To apply for your New Zealand adventure, you should:
- Ideally be aged between 18-30 years.
- Be eligible for the New Zealand Working Holiday Visa
- Preferably have a driver’s license
- Have fluent or good English
- Have experience working with children – this can be as a big brother or sister, during work experience in a nursery or as a babysitter. If you are unsure, contact us!
- Have a love for children and an open mind to learn about a new culture from a unique standpoint – from right in the middle of it!
What you will need:
- A completed registration form
- A dear family letter – this is an introduction about yourself for your future host family. You might like to write about your home life, family, interests, studies, and most of all, why you want to be an Au Pair in New Zealand.
- A small photo album with smiley photos of you and your family/friends.
- Copy of your school grades/university certificate and any other courses you may have taken (i.e. first aid, sports, languages).
- Passport or valid ID that you can travel with
- 2 childcare references and one character reference (3 people in total). We will need to be able to check these so please make sure that they are reachable and happy to be contacted.
- Clean enhanced DBS/Police check – we can help UK applicants to apply for this.
- Medical certificate – a short statement for your doctor saying that you are fit enough to work with children.
- Driver’s license – if you would be happy to drive, that is!