Want to be an Au Pair in The Netherlands – Holland?
If you are considering an overseas Gap Year adventure where you can learn another language but still use English -Then being an au pair in the Netherlands might be for you! The country is well known around the world for the people’s friendly
and accepting nature, progressive culture, wide range of cheeses, windmills, tulips, dikes and of course bikes!
An Au pair stay in The Netherlands will also give you the opportunity to travel around the rest of Europe, as there are plenty of connections by train and Amsterdam international airport (one of the world’s largest) to the surrounding countries. Being so flat, you might be able to use your newfound love of bikes to explore the countryside and get out of the cities too, through tulip fields, past windmills and dykes, or to one of the many lovely beaches along the west coast.
In the cities, it is easy to get caught up in Dutch culture by visiting one of the many museums and galleries throughout the country, or taking part in the many festivals. In Amsterdam, the Van Gogh museum or Anne Frank’s house are not to be missed. If you prefer, the pretty canals are great for a lazy wander and in April they become filled with King’s Day celebrations – so have your orange clothes ready!
Our au pair programmes in The Netherlands are for between 10-12 months, allowing you to be fully immersed in the famous Dutch culture.
- Au pairs in the Netherlands work maximum 30 hours per week over 5 days.
- Receive approximately €300 per month as well as food and accommodation as a part of the family.
- Your Dutch host family will pay for your insurance and local language classes, as well as visa costs (if required). If they require a first aid certificate, the family will also pay for this.
- By working with an agency, you will receive local support to assist you during your stay, including advice for settling in to The Netherlands, including 4 meetings throughout your stay to ensure you are doing well, emergency assistance, monthly Au Pair meet ups and help to find other friends and language classes (either Dutch or English).
To apply for your Dutch au pair adventure, you should:
- Ideally be aged between 18-30 years.
- If not from the EU, Be able to apply for the Dutch Au Pair visa – please contact your local embassy for more information.
- Have basic Dutch or English abilities.
- Be able to ride a bike! This is an important mode of transport in The Netherlands.
- Have about 200 hours experience working with children – this can be as a big brother or sister, during work experience in a nursery or as a babysitter. If you are unsure, contact us!
- Have a love for children and an open mind to learn about a new culture from a unique standpoint – from right in the middle of it!
What you will need: to apply to apply to be an au pair in Holland:
- A completed registration form
- A dear family letter – this is an introduction about yourself to your future host family. You might like to write about your home life, family, interests, studies, and most of all, why you want to be an Au Pair in The Netherlands.
- A small photo album with smiley photos of you and your family/friends.
- Copy of your school grades/university certificate.
- Passport or valid ID that you can travel with.
- 2 childcare references and one character reference (3 people in total). We will need to be able to check these so please make sure that they are reachable and happy to be contacted.
- Clean enhanced DBS/Police check – we can help UK applicants to apply for this.
- Medical certificate – a short statement for your doctor saying that you are fit enough to work with children.
- Driver’s license – if you would be happy to drive, that is!
So, what’s stopping you? Get in touch with the Heavenly team or register now to start your adventure as an au pair in the Netherlands! Apply for Outbound Au Pair Adventure Overseas