Mamma Mia! What a choice! Italy will not disappoint, with its rich culture, enormous amounts of delicious foods and never ending sites, you will be kept busy exploring for years.
Italians notoriously have a very warm and welcoming nature. Get the opportunity to be fed by a Nonna and a Mamma, learn to communicate with your hands and to drive like a local by being an Au Pair in an Italian family. You will see a side of Italy that tourists don’t get to. Italians love to help others learn their language and you will be speaking away in no time.
In Milan, you can visit one of Europe’s capitals of fashion as well as one of the largest Catholic churches in the world. A quick train ride to the north will take you through to the Alps and Venice in one direction, Lake Como in another and Turin to the west. By travelling south you will pass by the Italian gems of Bologna, Florence and Pisa until you come to the capital Rome. Rome wasn’t built in a day – as they say – and it will take a lot more than this to get immersed as well. Puglia and Sicily in the south offer some of the best food in Italy as well as amazing beaches and both regions are often over-looked by international tourists.
Our programmes in Italy vary in length depending on the experience you are looking for:
- 6-12 months – for the full immersion experience! By staying for a longer period, you will be able to really hone your language skills and come to feel like your new town is your home away from home. If you are just starting to learn Italian, this might be the option for you, as you will be able to attend language classes during your stay.
- You will work maximum 30 hours per week, with at least 1 day off per week.
- In return, the host family will pay you 80 euros per week, give you time off during the day to explore and take language classes, and treat you as one of the family. Room and board are of course included!
- By working with an agency, you will receive local support to assist you during your stay, including advice for settling in to Italy, emergency assistance and help to find friends and language classes.
- 1-3 months – June to September only – for those short on time or who would like to improve their Italian skills – or even make a start! Or maybe you would like to start learning, and full immersion in an Italian family will give you that opportunity. It’s also possible that you have a long summer break and want to make the most of it! Whatever your reason, Italy is a great choice for a summer stay.
- In addition to the above, most summer placements will require full time hours, as they children will not be in school. For 45 hours, you will receive 100-130 euro per week..
To apply for your Italian adventure, you should:
- Ideally be aged between 18-30 years.
- Have finished high school.
- Have an EU passport or be able to apply for the Working Holiday Visa, or able to stay in Italy for up to 90 days as a visa free tourist. Please contact your local Italian Embassy for more information, as rules are country specific.
- Have experience working with children – this can be as a big brother or sister, during work experience in a nursery or as a babysitter. If you are unsure, contact us!
- Have a love for children and an open mind to learn about a new culture from a unique standpoint – right in the middle of it!
What you will need:
- A completed registration form
- A dear family letter – this is an introduction about yourself for your future host family. You might like to write about your home life, family, interests, studies, and most of all, why you want to be an Au Pair in Italy.
- A small photo album with smiley photos of you and your family/friends.
- Copy of your school grades/university certificate and any other courses you may have taken (i.e. first aid, sports, languages).
- Passport or valid ID that you can travel with
- 2 childcare references and one character reference (3 people in total). We will need to be able to check these so please make sure that they are reachable and happy to be contacted.
- Clean enhanced DBS/Police check – we can help UK applicants to apply for this.
- Medical certificate – a short statement for your doctor saying that you are fit enough to work with children.
- Driver’s license – if you would be happy to drive, that is!
- Proof of health insurance – Check out our deals for Heavenly Au Pairs through STA travel!