“I am from South Africa. Can I be an Au Pair or Nanny in the UK?”

by Gill_admin.

Group of young people from South Africa who want to be Au Pairs holding a union jack flag

The UK has long been a very popular destination for anyone wanting to take a gap-year, travel or work. But as a South African au pair, this can be a bit tricky…

We regularly have applications from lovely South African Au Pairs and Nannies, hoping to find a family to start their Au Pair adventure or nanny job in the UK. However, as the UK does not have a childcare visa programme with South Africa, sadly, this is not always possible.

There is just a glimmer of hope though for some South Africans; if you have:

  1. A dual nationality with a country that has a visa programme with the UK (such as New Zealand, Australia, Canada)
  2. Dual nationality with an EU country. You can use your EU passport to come to the the UK even if you are from South Africa.
  3. Investigate your family tree and check if you would qualify for a British Ancestry Visa (these last 5 years).
  4. Some South Africans even have a British passport! We can place South Africans on a British passport as a Mother’s Help or Junior Nanny, depending on your childcare experience, which means you would be working as an employee. (British people do not qualify to be au pairs in their own country!)

Dual Nationalities

Having 2 nationalities can be a great advantage! If you happen to have dual nationality and hold a second passport from a European country, Wonderful! You will have the right to work in the UK as a Nanny or take your gap-year as an Au Pair!

Holding dual nationality with your second passport being from Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Republic of Korea and Taiwan also gives you a step ahead, as nationals from these countries can apply for a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme Visa, which will allow you to work and live in the UK for up to 2 years!

Having a British Ancestry visa

Another system used by a large number of South Africans is the British Ancestry visa. This visa can be granted to any person from a commonwealth country (eg. South Africa), and can prove that they have a grandparent or parent who was born in the UK. This visa can allow you up to 5 years of living and working in the UK.

Not quite right?

If none of the above apply to you and you are still very keen to take a gap-year abroad and become an Au Pair, we would be happy to assist you in finding a lovely Host family in Europe or other destinations as well!

Some destination possibilities for a South African Au Pair are:

Want to find out more ?      Contact Us