Tips for Family Registration
Before you start to fill in our on-line family Registration form we would just like to bring to your attention a few things to help your application be attractive to our very best candidates (be they nanny, au pair, mother’s help, housekeeper or elderly companion).
What you write will be read by Heavenly Au Pairs staff, by some of our Partner Agencies abroad but most importantly by your future Au Pair/ Nanny/ Mother’s Help/ Companion/ Housekeeper. Please bear this in mind throughout.
1. Do respond honestly and truthfully, there is little point saying that you live in a castle if you live in a 2 bedroom flat. Upon arrival your chosen candidate will be disappointed (!) but also will not be able to trust you and might not stay. If you live in a 2 bedroom flat, please say so. Then you should also mention the positives – good local facilities, or family gym membership or your toddler’s nursery is 2 minutes walk away for example.
2. Apart from providing the essential facts, this on-line registration form is your chance to promote your family and the position you are offering. What you say and how you say it will either entice good candidates or put them off!
3. The overwhelming majority of families who come to us are fantastic, wonderful, kind, generous, supportive families, who we are genuinely hugely enthusiastic about, and love to promote to like-minded fantastic nannies / au pairs/ mother’s helps/ housekeepers/ companions, who are tripping over themselves to be picked by you. Please do ensure that the candidates get the correct impression of you from your replies 😉
4. Please consider whether you need a driver. Insuring a young person is not cheap. If you really need a driver then we will find you you a nanny, au pair or companion who agrees to drive for you. But if you do not absolutely need your helper to drive then please say so on the form as this will open up the scope of the search. Please call your insurance company and other insurers to make sure you will be able to afford the premium if your chosen candidate is young (18-25 yrs) shop around! Some family cars are not great to insure a nanny / au pair on and many families buy a ‘class 1 ‘ car for insurance purposes! – Also easier to park 😉
6. We are NOT an anonymous computerised system – your forms will come directly to the Heavenly Au Pairs & Nannies team in London who will check through them in detail and search for the most wonderful matching heavenly candidates for you. If, after registration you think you should have answered differently or if your circumstances change, please get in touch. We will discuss with you and make the appropriate changes to your Profile which we send out to our candidates.
Some more tips concerning families registering exclusively for an au pair:
The more options you provide us with the wider we can cast the net in our search for your perfect au pair.
You might for instance consider a male candidate? Male au pairs tend to be really excellent at entertaining your children and having a lot of fun with them. Male au pairs are also often good at and keen on driving. Many of them do have experience with housework and are more than happy to help in this area.
Consider also if you absolutely need your helper to drive? Often, particularly in more rural areas this is essential to the role. Only approximately 40% of au pair candidates can drive, so if you do not absolutely need a driver you will have a far greater choice (including drivers and non drivers).
Regarding the aupair’s level of English- We will always try to find you the best candidate with the highest level of English, but if the language capability is not as important as their personality or skills then consider a candidate who is less than good at English. Also consider that an au pair with lower English may need to stay with you for longer to achieve fluency…. others who already have excellent English might not be so motivated to stay for a longer time.
Be fair when it comes to the pocket money which you will pay an au pair. Our heavenly au pairs are certainly not solely motivated by money, but if their weekly pocket money is significantly lower than in other similar roles then you might not attract the best au pairs or they will feel resentful once they are here as they meet those other better paid au pairs. Always pay fairly. For candidates receiving more than £112 weekly please make sure you check with HMRC about NI and Tax thresholds – we can provide you with up to date tables/ literature about this – just ask – but kindly make sure you inform yourself.
We hope you have found this helpful.