Driving and Insurance

Driving in the UK, Driving Licence and Car Insurance Au pairs driving

Do you need your au pair or foreign / young nanny to drive?

See here for information regarding driving in the UK with a non-British driving licence, for European Nationals and also for those whose driving licence is issued outside of the EU.

Many of our families request an au pair or foreign nanny or elderly companion who can drive. However it is worth considering if there is any alternative to requiring your nanny or au pair to drive. The cost of insuring a nanny or au pair, particularly if they are young or if they have been living abroad and are not familiar with driving in the UK, can be high. Some families find that it is cheaper to arrange for a taxi or Uber for the occasional journey. Those living in town can take public transport instead and maybe just opt for a taxi on the rainy days.

Those engaged with families in the countryside probably do need to drive, and not driving can lead to isolation and subsequently to other problems.

Some of our clients have found it cheaper in the long-run to purchase an additional car for their nanny / au pair to use rather than insure them on their main family car each year. Insuring drivers on a insurance ‘group 1’ car is significantly less costly.

Feel free to call us to discuss your situation and what might be best for you, we have a lot of experience and can help you reach the right decision.

It is vital that all people coming to the UK are aware of the major differences concerning roads and traffic rules in Britain. Most people are already aware that in the UK, as with a handful of other countries (not in Europe) we drive on the left. Once you are here, it becomes quite natural and people are more afraid of this than they need to be. When crossing a busy road, there will often be a sign on the road stating ‘Look Left’ or ‘Look Right’, this is very helpful. Whether you are planning to drive in the UK or not, it is a good idea to read our ‘Highway’ code so that you understand our signs (very similar to all other countries’ signs). A copy of the Highway Code can be found here.