British Au Pairs are living it up in Australia!
If you’ve taken a recent look at the falling mercury in your thermometer, there is a good chance that you are considering a move to warmer climes, indeed a warmer hemisphere! Go the whole hog and take your gap year out in Australia!
This home-from-home is sunny and warm in its climate and in its people. By far the easiest option is to live with an Australian family as a gap year au pair. You will get to experience life as a real Aussie and can enjoy a comfortable and fun gap year – no worries about finding accommodation, a job, or where your next meal will come from. You will even be paid!
What is it like to be an Au Pair in Australia?
Being an au pair is a great way to enjoy a new country. You simply become a member of the family! Your duties will include helping to look after the family’s children, getting them up and out of the house in the morning, taking them to & from school, helping with homework, taking them to activities etc. In your free time, you can meet up with friends, visit sights, chill on the beach, whatever you please. You will get your own nice bedroom within the family home and will eat your meals with the family – some of which you will have helped to prepare!
Australians are warm and open people who readily take ‘foreigners’ into their hearts (and homes). They like to share their lives and are proud to show outsiders what it means to be Australian.
Once you have had a little time to rest after your long journey, your new Australian family will be delighted to show you around your local neighbourhood and closest large town/ city. They will introduce you to all the family members, in particular the children. Immediately after arrival the Australian agency will contact you to make sure everything is ok and to invite you to get-togethers/ arranged outings.
It is not so common in Australia to learn a foreign language. This means there are two types of families: those who would like to expose their children to a different language and culture and those there who particularly prefer to host a native English speaking au pair, from the United Kingdom.
Sign me up!
If you decide you would like this adventure then we will help support you all the way through. You start by simply:
- Filling in our simple on-line au pair registration form, specifying Australia as your chosen destination.
- Writing and then sending us your ‘Dear Family’ introduction letter for your prospective Australian host family. You should start collecting your references too. Prospective host families will also appreciate seeing a photo of you.
- Apply for your DBS certificate – this is proof that you don’t have any criminal history. You can apply through Heavenly for just £84 incl vat (https://www.heavenlyaupairs.com/dbs-checks/)
- Review the Australian host families we will send you by email.
- Interview with the families you like.
- Agree with your favourite Australian family and start organising your trip!
- Make sure your Gap Year programme fee has been paid. Then start looking into your Australian Working Holiday Visa, flights and travel insurance – we can help with this!
- Once in Australia you will be under the care of our Australian agency. They will send you everything you need to settle in and also help you to start making new friends. If you have any questions or concerns in Australia you can contact them, but you are also welcome to contact us!
It’s as simple as that! Here to Oz in 7 easy steps!
Our Australian partner agency will be in touch with you and your host family once you have started your gap year placement. They will also ensure that you and the family know what to do for a successful au pair placement. You will be far from home, but your new life will be full of adventure. You won’t have too much time to think about home and that’s just how it should be!
This is a hugely exciting adventure, with all the thrills but none of the dangers of a far-flung gap year.
Want to find out more?
Got a question for us ? Contact Us