Gap Year China

Au Pair in China, Au Pair Tutor, Teach & Study or Teach English (TEFL) in China

– we have plenty of programmes in China, just choose the option which suits you best!

If you step outside of your comfort zone and choose to go to China for your gap year then you will live and breathe Chinese culture and language. China and Chinese culture is both ancient and at the forefront of modernity and technology and is certainly fascinating, if nothing else.
If you choose to teach or teach & study in China then you will have separate accommodation close to other foreign and young people like yourself and be independent. If you choose to be an Au Pair in China then you will have the opportunity to experience the Chinese culture from the inside as well as learning the world’s most widely spoken language (1.1 Billion Mandarin speakers!).

A great number of the 1.1 billion Mandarin speakers are very keen to learn the world’s 2nd most widely spoken language – English (983 million speakers on the globe), therefore English speaking au pairs, tutors, teachers and nannies are very highly prized.

Being an Au Pair in China will give you the once in a life-time opportunity to immerse yourself in the Chinese culture, while also allowing time to explore and learn from a local base. Imagine working with children for a few hours a day, going to a Chinese lesson and then heading outside to explore one of China’s big cities, using the language skills you just picked up in class. Time will fly by and you will also meet many interesting and new friends along the way.

You can take the opportunity to visit Beijing, China’s capital in the north with the Forbidden Palace, the Great Wall, or the Temple of Heaven. Or maybe Shanghai on the eastern coast, where you can shop on Nanjing Road, wander down the Bund, or stroll through Yu Garden. In southern China, there is Guangzhou, considered the birthplace of delicious Dim Sum, with the Dragon Boat festival on the Pearl River in April and May, and a large dance festival in November. And Xi’an in Central China, the eastern end of the Silk Road and where you can see the Terracotta Army, the city’s famed ancient walls, the Buddhist Big Wild Goose Pagoda and the Chinese Muslim Great Mosque.

Wherever your Au Pair journey takes you, China is an excellent destination to expand your horizons and experience something new.

Our programmes in China are for between 3-12 months and offer some great benefits:

• You will work up to 25 hours per week over 5.5 days.
• Receive 2000 Renminbi, with a bonus on completion of your stay depending on how long you stay for (2500 for 3 months and 5000 for 6 months). For comparison, 20 RMB can buy you a meal and 3 RMB a metro ride.
• 3 days paid holiday, every 3 months.
• Free accommodation and food with your host family and 60 Chinese class hours per 3 months.
• By going through our agency (IAPA and BAPAA members), you will receive experienced local support to assist you during your stay, including advice for settling in China, an orientation on arrival, 24 hour emergency assistance, help to find friends, and regular social events with other Au Pairs organised by our partner au pair agency in China. You will also receive a welcome package, including a SIM card and travel pass.

To apply for your Chinese adventure, you should:

• Ideally be aged between 18-29 years. If you are 17 and would like to travel to China, please get in touch.
• Have fluent or very good English
• Preferably have experience working with children – this can be as a big brother or sister, during work experience in a nursery or as a babysitter. If you are unsure, contact us!
• Have a love for children and an open mind to learn about a new culture from a unique standpoint – from right in the middle of it!

What you will need to become an au pair in China:

• A completed au pair registration form
• A dear family letter – this is an introduction about yourself for your future host family. You might like to write about your home life, family, interests, studies, and most of all, why you want to be an Au Pair in China.
• A small photo album with smiley photos of you and your family/friends.
• Copy of your school grades/university certificate and any other courses you may have taken (i.e. first aid, sports, languages).
• Passport or valid ID that you can travel with
• 2 childcare references and one character reference (3 people in total). We will need to be able to check these so please make sure that they are reachable and happy to be contacted.
• Clean enhanced DBS/Police check – we can help UK applicants to apply for this.
• Medical certificate – a short statement for your doctor saying that you are fit enough to work with children.
• Driver’s license – if you would be happy to drive, that is!
• Once placed with a family, you will need to apply for a Visa and our partners in China will help with this.

Get in touch to find out more about Teaching English as a Foreign Language in China and also our Teach and Study programmes : Contact Us