Gap Year in Chile
Want to spend your gap year in Chile; improving your Spanish while experiencing a country that has fast become one of the ‘must visit’ destinations of the last few years? Look no further than being an Au Pair in Chile! Further opportunities in volunteer work in Chile, Farm-Stay, work and travel in Chile. Ask for more details.
Au Pair in Chile
One of South America’s jewels, as an au pair in Chile you will have the opportunity to stay with a Chilean Au Pair family for between 3-12 months, improve your Spanish and experience a unique place you might not have considered before. There are also possibilities to stay with an ‘expat’ family from USA, UK, Germany, Netherlands etc in Chile. Chile’s economy is growing quickly and its economic and socio-political stability mean that it is one of the safest countries in South America as well as a member of the OECD. Santiago, the capital, is home to 40% of the country’s 16 million inhabitants and is a vibrant hub of life and culture – reminiscent of any Southern European Capital – but with a twist!
This country packs in huge landscapes and wild nature! Being the longest country in the world means that Chile boasts a wide variety of landscapes, including the Andes Mountains along the Argentinian border, Easter Island in the Pacific Ocean, Altiplano desert and the Atacama salt flats in the north. Patagonia in the south includes fjords, volcanoes and rainforests too. And don’t worry – there are also plenty of beaches along the western coast.
At home, Chileans are warm and helpful and previous Au Pairs will tell you how quickly they made new friends. The cuisine will also not disappoint, with dishes such as empanadas waiting for you. For some, it might take some time to adjust to the new habits and more relaxed lifestyle in Chile but it is well worth the effort to get to experience the wonderful Chilean culture from the inside.
Our Au Pair programme in Chile lasts for between 3-12 months and offers some great benefits:
- As an Au Pair in Chile you will work between 30-40 hours per week
- Receive £180-230 per month – remember that Chile is not as expensive many other countries so your money goes a long way
- Free accommodation and food with your Chilean host family (hosts are normally quite well off and have lovely homes)
- By using an agency, you will receive local support to assist you during your stay, including advice for settling in Chile, an orientation on arrival, 24 hour emergency assistance, and help to find friends and language classes. You will also receive a welcome package, including a welcome guide and city information.
To apply for your Au Pair experience in Chile, you should:
- Ideally be aged between 18-30 years.
- Have fluent or very good English. Basic Spanish is helpful but not required.
- Have basic experience working with children – this can be as a big brother or sister, during work experience in a nursery or as a babysitter. If you are unsure, contact us!
- Have a love for children and an open mind to learn about a new culture from a unique standpoint – from right in the middle of it!
What you will need:
- A completed au pair registration form
- A dear family letter – this is an introduction about yourself for your future host family. You might like to write about your home life, family, interests, studies, and most of all, why you want to be an Au Pair in Chile.
- A small photo album with smiley photos of you and your family/friends.
- Copy of your school grades/university certificate and any other courses you may have taken (i.e. first aid, sports, languages).
- Passport or valid ID that you can travel with
- 2 childcare references and one character reference (3 people in total). We will need to be able to check these so please make sure that they are reachable and happy to be contacted.
- Clean enhanced DBS/Police check – we can help UK applicants to apply for this.
- Medical certificate – a short statement for your doctor saying that you are fit enough to work with children.
- Driver’s license – if you would be happy to drive, that is!
- Travel insurance – We can help with this!
- Once placed with a family, you will need to apply for a Visa and our partners in Chile will help with this.
Apply for Outbound Au Pair Adventure Overseas