Being an Au Pair in Canada allows you to become immersed right from the get go. While the majority of families are based in English speaking areas, you will still get the chance to live in another country with a unique culture. You’ll make life-long connections with your host family and new friends!
Why visit Canada in your Gap Year?
Oh Canada! An incredible and vast country, it is famous for beavers, bears, ice hockey, Niagara Falls, mounted police, and maple trees and syrup. But there is so much more to discover in this North American wonderland. Their multicultural background has created a unique culture and it is distinct from their well-known southern neighbours (USA), or other commonwealth countries, such as Australia or New Zealand. With Queen Elizabeth still the head of state, they are a bridge between French, British, Indigenous, and American cultures.
Due to its size, Canada offers nearly endless amounts of wilderness to discover, with the Arctic Circle to the north, and warmer forests and lakes to the south. There is also thousands of miles of coastline! More than 80% of Canada’s population live in urban areas, meaning there are plenty of big cities to keep those more interested in metropolitan sights and urban culture busy.
Our Au Pair programmes in Canada last for between 6-10 months, allowing you to be fully immersed in the Canadian way of life
- You will work from 25 hours per week, with 2 weeks paid holiday and 9 bank holidays per year.
- Pay varies according to experience but is normally from $14 Canadian Dollars per hour (from $350 per week).
- Free accommodation and food with your host family.
- By working with an agency (we are IAPA and BAPAA members too), you will receive:
- Local support to assist you during your stay
- A welcome pack
- Advice for settling in to Canada
- Emergency assistance – for your peace of mind!
- Arrival orientation
- Social outings
- Help to find friends
To apply for your Canadian au pair gap year adventure, you should:
- Be between 18-35 years.
- Have an invitation to apply for the Canadian Work and Travel Visa. This can be a lengthy process. You will first need to apply for an invitation to move forward with the visa process and once you have received this (it is a lottery system), we can move forward with finding a family. You will need to intend to travel during your time in Canada to be applicable for the visa. If you have questions about applying, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
- Have fluent or good English
- Have experience working with children – this can be as a big brother or sister, during work experience in a nursery or as a babysitter. If you are unsure, contact us!
- Above all, have a love for children and an open mind. You will learn about a new culture from a unique standpoint – right in the middle of it!
What you will need to become an au pair in Canada:
- A completed au pair registration form
- A dear family letter – Your Chance to introduce yourself for your future host family. For instance, you might like to write about your home life, family, interests, studies, and most of all, why you want to be an Au Pair in Canada.
- A small photo album with smiley photos of you and your family/friends.
- Copy of your school grades/university certificate and any other courses you may have taken (i.e. first aid, sports, languages).
- Passport or valid ID that you can travel with
- 2 childcare references and one character reference (3 people in total). We check these so please make sure that they are reachable and happy to be contacted.
- Clean enhanced DBS/Police check – we can help UK applicants to apply for this.
- Medical certificate – this will need to be a certain doctor for your visa and the embassy will provide you with contact details.
- Driver’s license – if you would be happy to drive, that is!
- Health Insurance – we can help you with this!