Explore the world through Heavenly Gap Years!
Jump to – Teach English Abroad - Gap Year …. or read on for Au Pair Gap Year Abroad…
As Members of IAPA, BAPAA and the FSB and registered with the ICO, we put your safety and enjoyment first!
Are you looking for an exciting Gap Year experience which goes a little further than just ‘visiting’ a country?
Many young people choose to go abroad as part of their Gap Year, before or after university or before starting work / traineeship. Going abroad as an au pair is the only way to be really immersed in the culture of a nation. You spend your gap year (or part of) living with a family, as part of that family, sharing their life through being involved in all activities.
The term ‘au pair’ means ‘on a par’ which means that you are treated on a par and as part of the family, so it is not a ‘job’ in the ordinary sense although you do have your ‘duties’ as part of the family. The au pair’s primary duty is to help care for their children.
In most countries the au pair gap year programme is similar to this:
- Au Pair included as part of the family
- Primary duties are looking after the children
- Taking & collecting to/ from school
- Preparing simple meals for the children
- Organising fun and age-appropriate activities for children (guidance given from parents)
- Helping with simple schoolwork (homework)
- Helping to keep the home tidy and clean
- Time off to attend a language course; most au pairs attend a local language course, but it is not usually a requirement of the programme.
- Plenty of free time to meet up with new friends or other gap year / au pair friends, explore, sight-seeing.
- Working 25-30 hours per week with some babysitting and most weekends free.
- Invited to social events organised by the local agency
Points to be aware of:
The rules of an individual country’s Au Pair Programme varies somewhat from country to country and it is important to make sure that you would fit their au pair criteria. Please check our website, or send us an email for full details of your destination country’s au pair programme criteria. Criteria is usually in relation to :
- Age : many do not accept those over 30 years of age as au pair
- Nationality : the vast majority of countries we are aware of accept British nationals as au pairs, but check to be sure! We need to check on a case by case basis for au pairs applying from outside of the UK.
- Visa : for some countries you may need to apply for a working holiday visa or au pair visa, we can give you more information on possible visa requirements for your chosen au pair placement destination.
- Please note the different prices of the Outbound Au Pair Programme Package, according to destination country. See details on our website or get in touch with the team to find out more.
- Please note, we offer Inbound to the UK as well as Outbound, but costs of the Au Pair Programme Package relate only to the Outbound programme, there is no charge for Inbound au pairs via Heavenly.
Local support offered:
Heavenly works with its partners abroad who vet the host family you have chosen to be placed with.
This partner agency will stay in touch with you throughout your time as an au pair with your host family. Many of our partner agencies are also members of IAPA (International Au Pair Association) and their own national au pair association. IAPA member agencies must all meet strict criteria and all adhere to high standards of professionalism in the au pair industry, they all benefit from a wealth of experience. Read more about IAPA agencies here.
These local agents will:
- Stay in touch with you, making sure you are happy, settling in and finding friends
- Put you in touch with other local au pairs
- Inform you about local language schools
- Organise social events, trips to visit important sights and popular tourist attractions
- Find you a new host family, should you find you are not getting on with your first chosen host family.
- Most provide a 24/7 emergency help line (rarely used! but there for your peace of mind)
Benefits of going abroad as an au pair:
- Convenient and cheap way of travelling and experiencing a new culture
- Safe and hassle free, no accommodation bills to pay, very comfortable accommodation with family. Great peace of mind for your parents to know that you are safe in a vetted (checked) family.
- Best way to learn a language by speaking and listening all day with the host family – supplemented by attending language classes. Become fluent faster than those not living with a family and sharing in its life.
- See files and photos of prospective families before deciding, you can then skype with the host family 2 times (usually) before you decide to match with each other. You have as much contact as you like with the family before arrival at their home.
This programme offers:
- Bespoke Matching & Placement Service : suggesting host families, providing details of the position, facilitating interviews and confirming a placement. This is FREE of charge for the Candidate, as this cost is only paid by the Family.
Au Pair Package (check each destination for cost of the programme)
- Weekly pocket money, which more than covers all your ‘fun, freetime’ expenses. Many au pairs manage to save more than they spend during their au pair placement.
- Good quality accommodation included
- Meals included
- Collection from airport and transfer to your host family’s home.
- Membership of a BAPAA Au Pair App, built specifically to support au pairs in finding friends, answering any queries etc; uses Geo location to help connect those who live closest and who may share nationality or interests.
- On-line Au Pair training course before starting your au pair placement. Course specifically devised for prospective au pair by experienced Au Pair industry BAPAA professionals and childcare training specialists.
- Enhanced DBS check service. A DBS (criminal background check) is a requirement to be able to work with children.
- Welcome Pack upon arrival at destination country with wealth of information on how to connect with others, details about transport and medical services and how to make the most of your stay etc.
- Local agency support
In addition to the basic Package you may wish to purchase our:
- Paediatric First Aid training (approx 4 hours on-line course)
- Low cost Flights, offered globally by the dedicated Travel team at STA travel.
- Comprehensive Au Pair and Travel Insurance (discount if bought with flight)
- Working Holiday visa (to Australia and New Zealand)
Call on 0333 321 3102 or email the travel team at HeavenlyAuPairs@statravel.com
The cost of taking part in the Outbound Au Pair Programme varies depending on the destination. Please contact the team at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out the cost of taking part in the Au Pair Programme in your chosen destination.
Heavenly Au Pairs is continually adding to the list of Destination Countries. Currently we offer the Au Pair Programme to :
- Be an Au Pair in Spain!
- Be an Au Pair in France!
- Be an Au Pair in New Zealand!
- Be an Au Pair in Australia!
- Be an Au Pair in Germany!
- Be an Au Pair in Italy!
- Be an Au Pair in Chile!
- Be an Au Pair in China!
- Be an Au Pair in Norway!
- Be an Au Pair in The Netherlands!
- Be an Au Pair in Switzerland!
- Be an Au Pair in Austria!
- Be an Au Pair in USA
Why choose Heavenly Au Pairs?
Heavenly Au Pairs is a member of BAPAA and IAPA and has made thousands of successful placements. We have years of experience in how to make a successful au pair placement.
Heavenly is one of the largest au pair agencies in the UK and our dedicated team have all previously been an au pair, or nanny abroad themselves. We work with reputable partners who are well established and experienced in placing au pairs with their vetted host families in their countries.
All au pair placements are following the rules of the Au Pair Programme, to ensure the safety and happiness of the au pair. Any problems are dealt with promptly and with great care.
Going overseas as an Au Pair is certainly one of the most cost-effective ways to enjoy a gap year, however, there are some costs for the year or part of year which need to be borne in mind.
The cost of the au pair package varies from destination to destination, see table below or get in touch with the team for more details. Here is a breakdown of the costs involved, some will be included in your package, others purchased directly by you.
- Passport (you arrange and pay for if you do not already have a passport. Please allow plenty of time!)
- Enhanced DBS check (police check included in the price of the package)
- Insurance for your trip and to cover you for your tasks carried out whilst abroad (special rates are available but cost is in addition to the basic package)
- The host family may ask you to obtain a simple medical report from your doctor.
- Au Pair Training Course (on-line) – included in the cost of the programme
- Essential paediatric First Aid training (on-line – included in the cost of the programme.
- Flights to your destination – (special rates are available but is in addition to the basic package)
Outbound Au Pair programme Fees
|Total Package cost||Price breakdown|
|What's included:||First Aid Course||Au Pair Course||Enhanced DBS||Local Support Package|
Want to start the ball rolling ? Register here